Monday, July 18, 2011

I Haz Broccoli!

Look - I have grown vegetables!  Yay.  These photos were actually taken about a week ago, the broccoli is bigger now.  Must take some more shots.

This is one of about 10 showing heads now - this was the first & is the biggest.


Still no heads on the cauliflower - it seems to be a much slower grower than the broccoli.

And even leeks too ... although I'm not really sure these will grow to proper size. 


Maybe I wasn't supposed to plant them in clumps like that.  As seedlings they came in clumps and were like tiny chives, so I just planted them as they were - did not think I needed to separate each one.  But now I think maybe I was supposed to do that, as they seem now to not have room to grow to proper leek size.  I did the same with the onions - not sure if they'll have the same problem.  Any expert opinions out there? 

The lettuce & rocket are still going strong & I have just planted some more of both in a long, rectangular pot too.  There are some promising looking carrot tops as well, but leaving them there until after we get back.  Of course the broccoli will all be ready to harvest when we're in Hawaii.  Boo.  Oh well - a cocktail on the beach at sunset might help me get over it.

But home grown veggies - yummy!  Even Lucy is licking her lips in anticipation!

4 comments:

  1. Wow how exciting! I can imagine how fresh that broccoli will taste. I have no answer for the leek question though, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome brocolli! I'm completely green with envy. About the leeks.....yeah, they should have been separated at planting. Onions too. They are pretty hardy and forgiving and have fairly short roots, so you may be able to do it now. they take a long time to reach maturity. I planted some last year and they took the entire summer to reach "proper leek size." But, we live in Colorado which is pretty arid and has a short growing season. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Janice!

    Well, I'm thinking that in about 6 weeks I'll pull up the broccoli & cauli plants, and probably move the onions & leeks to that spot so will separate them then. Hopefully their growth is not stunted by then. That will make room for me to plant tomatoes, eggpant & zucchini where the onions, leeks, carrots & lettuce are currently. As it's winter here, I'm guessing those leeks & onions might need a lot more time. Mind you, our winter is not what you'd thik of as winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute doggy! I used to have a dog called Lucy too, and my current dog sort of looks like your Lucy, he has the same colouring. Weird!

    That broccoli looks delicious, kudos for growing your own veggies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!