Thursday, July 28, 2011

Birthdays & Boozehounds

I've been a bit quiet on the blogging front this week, as I've been busy tying up loose ends at work before my holiday.  But birthday update - what a lucky girl I am!

My lovely hubby took me for dinner on Wed night (which was the worst day ever, weather-wise, I must say!) to the wonderful Blancmange in Petersham.  We have been there a few times and it's always good.  This time I discovered that afternoon, when workmates asked where we were going for dinner, that my colleague's flatmate is the head waiter there.  My colleague rang him to tell him to look after us ... and when we arrived, right after he seated us he came back with two glasses of bubbles and said "these are from Paul".  Awww, how sweet. I won't attempt to write a review but I'll just say, if you're in Sydney and you haven't been there - go, GO.  Especially go on a weeknight, as they have a wonderful special deal on Tues-Thurs of 3 courses for $55.  That's right - good deal for the quality you get.

On Sat I had a haircut.  On the spur of the moment, based on a photo of Zooey Deschanel that I saw in the magazine I was reading while my colour was on.
Yeah, like a haircut is going to make me look like that.
You may recall that on Christmas Eve I kind of went for the semi-fringe - the sideswept, Clayton's fringe.  Well, this time I just said bugger it - go the whole hog.  All based on that photo and a whim ... and the nagging feeling that I might be running out of time to get trendy haircuts on a whim so I'd better do it now.  So I did!

Crappy iphone pic - and yes, my husband took it, which is why boobs are the focus of the shot, not the haircut!

It is a too long & thick on the left-hand side ... but will try not to worry about it until I can get it fixed.

Then, on Sat night I had a fantastic dinner with friends, which is where this photo was taken, at the also wonderful Thanh Binh in Newtown.  This is also an old favourite of mine - if you like a good fresh rice paper roll, this is the place for you!  There were several wonderful friends there, including the always hilarious Mel who has a great blog called King St Challenge.  I'm sure she will do a better review!  Luckily she had not already been to this restaurant, so it was not only a birthday dinner for me, she managed to knock another one off her list.  We then joined Mel and others the next day to knock off another one, for lunch at the Coopers Hotel.

So it was a very boozy time, and I just haven't really managed to stop since then.  Have slid into holiday mode.  I had all good intentions of being a perfect angel this week - no booze, lots of gym, only clean food.  And then I went - ah well, it's nearly holidays, it's still my birthday week/fortnight/month ... so who cares?  I will have so much hard work to do when I get back from hols!!

We fly out on Saturday, early evening.  So excited!  Not about the journey - as a former Qantas employee who became far too accustomed to staff travel, the thought of flying in Economy on Jetstar for 10 hours is practically giving me hives.  But I am very excited about getting there.  Our first place is the treehouse in Volcano Village on the Big Island - it has an amazing spa bath and fireplace.  And I was even able to arrange a romantic candlelight dinner, cooked by a local chef & delivered & set up in the cottage for us ... he is even picking us up a nice bottle of wine.  I think this will be perfect for our first night & I'm treating it like part 2 of our honeymoon.  Better go pack!

2 comments:

  1. Hawaii sounds AWESOME. Have a great time - I love your haircut! (I also love Zooey. She's one of my favourites)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this on internet and it is really very nice.
    An excellent blog.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!