Tuesday, February 8, 2011

House of Pain

Our house has truly been a misery-filled house of pain lately.  I am still laid up with this back & neck pain.  Saturday was the worst day - I could hardly move or walk and was just lying around crying in frustration for a while.  And it was soooo hot.  My poor mister was very worried about me.  I returned for another remedial massage on Saturday but was in such a bad way, she just did a short gentle one.  I started to feel better that evening, but was bad again on Sunday.

So, I went to the doctor again yesterday - he told me to cancel the next massage as I am in such a bad state I would not really get the benefit from any treatment like that at the moment.  It's so tight with several different pulse or spasm points and very uncomfortable.  Basically, a mess.  When he recommended the trigger point massage to me, at the time it was only my neck that was sore and had been that way for weeks,  not fresh.  At the moment, with all the rest of my back playing up, this sort of treatment is not advisable.  He has given me muscle relaxants (hello Valium!) and prescription anti-inflammatories, which are stronger than the Voltarin I was taking.  It has helped a bit but not yet enough for my liking.  I am supposed to have acupuncture tomorrow evening - he advised this as a less invasive way to treat it.  So I have not been to work since last Wednesday.  Every day has felt the same really - just a blur of Foxtel cooking shows and lying around helplessly.  At least it is not so hot now!  I would quite like to be a lady of leisure and not have to work ... but not if it means lying around in pain & not doing anything.

Meanwhile, my poor mister developed terrible tooth pain and had to go for emergency dental work yesterday (his pain has subsided overnight, after that).  We've really been in the wars!  Poor little Lucy has been missing out on walks, firstly because it was too hot and then because we've both been in pain. 

But she has been a good girl, looking after me.  The other day I toddled off to bed for a lie down to read my book for a while in the middle of the day.  She followed me into the bedroom & jumped up on the bed with me (this is normally not allowed, but was a special "don't tell Daddy" treat).  Anyway, she started to squirm around as she does and was trying to roll on the pillows - this pissed me off so I said "NO!", she got bored with me and jumped off the bed, and (I thought) toddled off back to the lounge room or outside.  In fact, she had settled under the bed, which I discovered about 10-15 mins later when I went to roll over and kind of cried out in pain.  Immediately, Lucy was up, out from under the bed and jumped up onto it to check on me.  I was so proud of her - what a sweet girl.  Even though she is technically not allowed to jump onto the bed unless she's invited, I thought that was pretty cute.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Sammie, I'm sorry to hear that you've been in such pain :( I hope the acupuncture works x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^ ha ha! I think you mean Nat!
    Nat, I hope you are feeling much much better soon.
    That hot weather was HORRIBLE.
    You in pain from your neck and back and me with horrible nausea.
    YUCK! Thank goodness its cooled down a bit now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no. this doesn't sound like much fun.
    Tooth aches are the pits! although glad the emergency dental work has eased your Mr's pain.

    How horrid about your back ache. I know how crippling this can be. Though I love the story about Lucy checking on you. What a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that you're in so much pain! It sounds awful :(

    It's nice that you have such a lovely puppy to keep you company and check on you though!

    Hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!