Monday, April 25, 2011

Sowing to Reap (let's hope!)

Ok, the slackest blogger ever is still alive - sorry folks!  Now for the long-promised post about creating our veggie patch.

Credit must go to Mr Nat for the manual labour.  He wouldn't even let me help with the hard digging/turning of soil - in fairness, this was right after I suffered the terrible back pain too.  But given then veggie patch is all my idea and he really had no enthusiasm for it, it was very kind of him to put in such an effort.

Now, let me take you on a photographic journey from patch of lawn & weeds, to bountiful kitchen garden!

Before - our backyard & in particular, the section where the veggie garden will go. 
Note the track Lucy has worn just at the bottom left of the picture.

The mister, doing his digging thing.

Lucy - helping.

Getting there ...

The growing pile of dirt & weeds.


Compost & top-soil added, ready to plant!
This was the point at which he declared it is now my responsibility.

Upper bed


Lower bed

So that was the initial planting done.  The following weekend I put down mulch.  Then 2 weeks after that (which was last weekend) I did some weeding and some more planting, as well as adding the final touch - signage. 


For those of you who've seen our wedding photos, you may recognise these blackboard signs from our reception tables.  So now we get to re-use them!  Unfortunately I didn't quite have enough, so had to be selective.  I'd love to find some more - couldn't find them again on ebay, which is where I bought them in the first place.  If anyone knows where to get some, please let me know!

By this stage (3 weeks after initial planting) the lettuce & rocket were going great guns, so I harvested quite a lot of leaves & planted some new seedlings in & around them so there would be ongoing supply.  I took these shots after harvesting the leaves so you can't see how big they'd become.







This is the bag of leaves I picked - bigger than it looks here.  They were yummy too!

Sorry for soooo many photos people, but anyway - there it is.  Let's hope my garden grows well.

2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks fantastic, you've done an awesome job! Love the signs from the wedding too. Does Lucy try to dig or does she stay clear? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's all exploding now - particularly the lettuce & rocket. And the signs are all blank now; the rain washed away all the chalk. Ooops!

    Lucy did indeed try to dig, and I got very cranky with her - hence the (kind of messy looking) mesh fencing arrangement to keep her out. I have to pull the front section all out to get in there & do anything ... and have to keep her in the house while I do it. It's a shame, but she just can't be trusted. I am crediting her with scaring the birds away though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!