Saturday, March 19, 2011

Beef & Guinness Stew

I have had the last week off, before I start my new job on Monday.  It got away from me too quickly, mainly because I had to do so much paperwork to get a special licence for my new job.  So unfortunately, not as relaxing as I would've liked.

However, by Thursday afternoon it was a little less hectic so I decided to make Beef & Guinness stew for dinner, in honour of St Patrick's Day.  I have made this a few times before, but tweaked it a bit this time & decided to cook it slowly in the oven instead of on the stovetop.  My husband had seconds and said, "That was BEE-YOO-tiful", so I consider that a success!  I have frozen the rest for another night.  Here is my recipe:

Beef & Guinness Stew

Ingredients



  • 2 tablespoons plain flour seasoned with salt & pepper





  • 800-900g cheaper cut of beef, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces





  • olive oil





  • 2 sticks celery, chopped





  • 1 brown onion, chopped





  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped





  • 1 carrot, peeled, chopped





  • 10 small mushrooms, sliced





  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste





  • 1 cup Guinness (Extra Stout, not Draught - more info below)





  • 2 cups beef stock





  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce





  • 2 bay leaves





  • couple of sprigs of thyme





  • 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped




  • Method
    Season the flour with salt & pepper & lightly coat the beef chunks.  I do this by putting it all in a large zip-lock bag, zipping it & shaking around until meat is coated.  But you can do it however you like.

    Do all your chopping, slicing, mincing etc.

    Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed casserole dish.  I used my le chasseur pot, which I am in LOVE with.  Brown the meat in batches - you don't want to overcrowd the pot.  It took me about 4 batches.  Put meat aside on a plate.
     

    Add a little more oil to the pot, if needed & cook the onion, celery & carrot for a few minutes, over medium heat.  Try to scrape off the crusty bits left by browning the meat - this is called "fond" in chef-land.  See, don't say I never teach you anything!  Add the garlic & continue to cook the veggies until softened.  Add the mushrooms - they don't really need to be pre-softened like onions, etc - so add them whenever you like. 



    Add tomato paste & cook this off for a couple of minutes.  This avoids that tinny, metallic taste tomato paste can have.

    Slowly pour in Guinness.  This is the correct Guinness to use - I can only really find it in longneck version.  It's much better than the draught stuff in cans, which makes the stew a bit bland and froths up too much.  And, because it's a longneck, after using a cup in the stew, there is a pint leftover to drink!  (husband had this - I prefer wine)

    
    Add stock, thyme & worcestershire sauce.  Bring it all to the boil.



    Add meat & any juices back to the pot, stir it all through.  Lid on & then in the oven at a low temp (about 140C) for 2 hours.

    You can just leave it to do its thing, or check on it halfway through & give it a stir, skim off some fat etc.
    When you think it's ready, remove from oven, skim excess fat, remove the bay leaves and add chopped parsley & a bit of salt & pepper.

    
    Without flash
    
    Serve with mashed potatoes & peas.  Yummo!  (I forgot to take any photos of it all served up - ooops)


    
    With flash
    

    2 comments:

    1. Sounds good! Husband loves Guinness too! Now that we have a new house to move into with a working oven I will be able to give it a try!!

      Good Luck for the new job on Monday!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. looks delicious! beef stews are great comfort food and i love that you can freeze it for another night :)

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for commenting!