Thursday, January 20, 2011

R.I.P. Jack the Dog


Jack the Dog
 My parents' dog Jack died yesterday.  He was very old - they've had him for 15 years (I was still at uni and living at home when we got him), and he was probably already about 3 by then - so he has had a very long run, for a dog. 

They rescued him from the RSPCA.  I was away for the weekend and returned on the Monday to a note on the kitchen bench not to be alarmed, but there is a dog in the backyard and yes, he is now part of the family.  And so he was.  I think it was love at first sight for my mum.  They were not looking to get a dog at that time, but they went along to the RSPCA annual fair/fete thing in Canberra.  They saw him ... and the rest was history.  He has really been Mum's constant companion, special little friend and DEFINITELY favourite child ever since!

The last time I saw Jack he was looking very old and like life was becoming a bit of a struggle.  So I knew this day was in the not too distant future.  However, I had not realised he'd gone downhill so much lately.  Mum says in the last few days he could barely walk and was being sick everywhere - basically his kidneys failed him in the end, and they had to let him go and end his suffering.  Mum is pretty upset about it.

So R.I.P Jack the dog - what a great little fella you were.  He is always referred to as "Jack the dog" in our family, because that's what my nephew & niece call him. 

3 comments:

  1. Awe. Our dog is heading that way. So big hugs! I'm not looking forward to the day it happens but I think my Mum will be in the same boat as your Mum is when it happens :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad :-(
    I hate it when an old family pet dies.
    We have had a few too and one that I think doesn't have long to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh poor Jack.
    So sad when a family pet dies.
    Dogs are so stoic, they keep wagging their tails right up until the end, so their demise often seems quite sudden.
    RIP Jack

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!